Instructions for Variations:
Klik hier voor Nederlands versie!
1. To make a melody, click on the "pencil."
2. Then, choose one of the four instruments and click any where on the composition workpad to place a note. You will hear the pitches as you enter them on the pad.
3. To hear your melody, click on the "play" arrow at the bottom of the composition workpad.
4. Click on the eraser to clear the pad and start again.
Let the computer make a short composition with your melody.
1. From the pull down menu, choose Composition 1 thru 5 or one of the two Canons. The computer will analyze the melody, then create short compositions with it.
2. To edit the composition, click on any box of notes, then click on an editing tool on the left, and/or, grab a box of notes and move them around.
3. Click on the play button to listen to the composition.
4. You don't have to make a new melody to try other compositions or canons, just choose another composition and your original melody will again be transformed.
Let the computer vary your melody as Aaron Copland did in his "Fanfare for the Common Man."
1. Choose "Copland" to manipulate your melody similarly to the way Copland manipulated his "Common Man" melody.
2. Choose "Play Aaron Copland's Version" to hear Copland's original melody.